Life-stuff

A middle age gay man in transition.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

A PURPOSE?

Do I have a purpose in this life? I suppose everyone wonders if they have a purpose for this life. Hetrosexuals can argue they are here to continue the species by having children. But as a gay man, what could my purpose be. How have I contributed to society? I am not a famous, artist, writer, musician, politician or scholar etc. I am not a doctor or lawyer or philanthropist out to help the poor and destitute. I give to charities when I am able, to causes I find just but have I made a difference to this world? Probably not. If I leave this world tomorrow, a few friends would be sad for a while and my parents would miss me dearly but on the whole the rest of the world would not have noticed my time here on earth or my leaving. Were we all meant to have a purpose? As a gay some would argue our lifestyles are selfish and hedonistic, although there are just as many straights who lead the same kind of lifestyle. Should I be rushing out to do good deeds? I suppose once I get myself on track with a job etc. I should consider helping a worthy cause to make the world a better place but I still wouldn't be missed. I won't make any history books or be imortalized. I don't think all of us mortals here on earth could have been meant to be here for a purpose, because if we were all here to do good there would be noone who needed help. I must admit my life has been realitively easy considering the rest of the world that lives in poverty and must worry about where their next meal will come from. I have always had everything I needed at least materially. I may not have always had love and companionship but these are things only we in the wealthy parts of the world have time to even think about. Should I not be satisfied knowing that I have never knowingly hurt anyone (My ex's excepted, but that kind of hurt works both ways.)and that I have been a decent and kind person? Should I go out tomorrow and make my life's cause a charity? Right now I am a bit selfish as I am my own cause for the moment, a cause I can't seem to conquer.

PS: Thanks PM for calling today, you must have read my mind. It was good to hear your voice and say hello if only for a few moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home