Life-stuff

A middle age gay man in transition.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

CULTURE?

Yesterday I went for a bit of culture and saw the play SNOWMAN by Greg McCarthur at Buddies In Bad Times Theatre in Toronto. It was a very good play, serious but with humour and it made you think. The cast was well chosen and played their respective roles well. The set although simple was effective. The play was about people dealing with their problems, some of the problems you can relate to, some you can't. The impetus for dealing with their personal problems was the discovery of a 10,000 year old body found frozen in a glacier. I guess being a gay man I could relate most to the young boy who found the body. He had been abandoned by his family and living in a small town had no gay friends. So he became emotionality attached to the frozen body as it was a comfort to him, he saw it as somebody who could understand him, someone who could not reject him, someone able to love him unconditionally. It sounds sad but I can assure you growing up gay in a small town is hard, perhaps not harder than a large city but in a sense you feel more isolated and more alone as you never see people like yourself. I liked the play a great deal and expect it will do well where ever or when ever it is produced and kudos to the playwright, a great job! I aspire to write a piece such as this someday but I am still lacking the discipline to just sit down and do it. I was speaking with my friend FD yesterday who was questioning me on my work to date, thank you FD for the gentle reminder.

And today I am going to indulge in a bit more culture as I go to the opera, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I am hoping it does not disappoint and that I do not fall asleep. Before the performance there is a talk about the piece which I will try to attend as when it comes to opera, I find the more you know about it before hand, the easier it is to understand. I will let you know what I think of the production.

I was suppopsed to meet a couple of friends this week, but have not heard from them. Perhaps they are busy? Or perhaps they weren't sincere whey they said they wanted to get together. Oh well, I will see what the rest of the week brings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home