Life-stuff

A middle age gay man in transition.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

PROZAC?

I have been a bit down these last few days. Once again I am feeling desperate and hopeless and then Monday I had a telephone interview, which I looked forward to; a sign someone was potentially interested in hiring me. Only to hear the words... do not think we can offer you anything! So why did you call???? They all seem to imply I am too old by saying this is a junior position and I respond that I am changing careers and that I am willing to take a junior position to learn a new career. While society is aging and soon older people will be in the majority; society still seems to view middle age people as expendable in the mean time. How do I convince these people I am sincere about taking such positions? Do they not know I will be happy doing something I like even if it does not pay big bucks? I know I have to keep trying and perhaps I need to change the methods I am using; I wish I knew where to turn to for some advice on such matters. My situation and circumstances is one that seems to mystify the professionals.

But to combat my down feelings I got a dose of my Prozac today in the form of a nice long chat with PM...should I be worried that a talk can change my mood???


1 Comments:

  • At 5:02 a.m., Blogger Chameleon said…

    I agree that it is ironic giving the changing age structure of society that more middle-aged people are being effectively barred from employment in spite of the undoubted advantages of experience, which ought to enhance their value to employers. Politicians (whilst voting through massive salary increases for themselves) are whittling away the last remnants of the welfare system, including retirement pensions and demanding that we all be forced to stay in employment until we quite literally drop dead (saves paying out the contributions we have slaved for over all those years). Although a close friend of mine assures me that there is a great deal of solidarity out there I am not entirely convinced. Perhaps it is because I survive in an extreme environment where promotion depends more on currying favour with those in power than on merit (in spite of all protestations to the contrary) and where literally hundreds of young hopefuls pass through the bowels of the system to be excreted back out again without realising that they never stood the remotest chance of competing for a real post. Those of us who have jobs are desperate to cling on to them at all costs, the spectre of being relegated to the benefits-subsisting underclass lurking constantly at the back of our minds. An entire section of the population of each developed country is permanently unemployable simply because of economic restructuring and technological advance, not, in other words, because they lack intelligence or skills, but simply because there are not enough decently paid jobs to go round. Employers are fully aware of this and ruthlessly exploit the feelings of insecurity it generates. As usual, attitudes lag behind social realities (the role of remunerated work as a primary source of self-esteem in the current circumstances being a case in point). I can scarcely imagine anything worse than being relegated to the social scrapheap in the full awareness that I have so much more to offer. If you are in employment, you are relentlessly squeezed for every drop of energy and effort and are compelled to sacrifice a family and social life in return for the dubious privilege of lining someone else's pockets. Knowing you, I am dismayed by the response by potential employers - I know you are highly intelligent, motivated and skilled (alongside all your other good qualities). Perhaps the bottom line is that they can get away with paying lower wages to younger people without the experience to question this kind of treatment, chewing them up and spitting them out as it suits them. Despicable though that may be. Do not allow the narrow-minded prejudices of others destroy your confidence and self-image. Keep trying - sooner or later your perseverance will pay off.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home