Life-stuff

A middle age gay man in transition.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

FAMILY
Tonight, my brother with MS came over, as we were finishing supper. He seemed all right but then the topic of access to his daughter was soon raised. He wants access to his daughter but his ex-wife has been denying him free access after he had a blow-up with her and verbally assaulted her. He has had numerous supervised visits at my parents and did manage an unsupervised visit last weekend. He says his separation agreement gives him access so he wants it. He said he was going over to demand access and if his ex-wife did not give him access he would call the police. Perhaps legally he is right, but he believes the terms of the separation agreement can never be changed, this is where he is wrong, she can contest his access and possibly has grounds for doing so after his verbal assault of her in front of witness or his deteriorating medical condition which might not make him suitable for long unsupervised visits with his daughter. Anyway his emotions erupted and then my father’s emotions erupted. I tried to play peacekeeper and did have a little success. My brother and father eventually calmed down. We are asking that my brother take someone with him when he next sees his legal council just to make sure he is hearing everything correctly as often he seems to only hear what he wants. I hope he will be OK. Just before he arrived my parent’s had been arguing/discussing their retirement finances and that was not a pretty picture either. My parents are stressed about my father’s retirement and about their baby son. I hope they can all weather these storms successfully. At their age I am sure they thought problems with children would be long gone, but it seems you never stop being a parent.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:56 a.m., Blogger Chameleon said…

    The situation is heartbreaking and you acted with maturity under difficult circumstances. The saddest part is that your brother may sink further into hoplessness if he is denied access to his daughter altogether, yet his deteriorating condition is likely to make visits more traumatic for all involved. There are no simple answers.
    My Mother used to say to me that no matter how old your children are you never stop worrying about them. She was right.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home